You want to sell your Portland house, and you want to get top dollar. Excellent!
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Portland“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar in today’s market:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below, or don’t have the time or money to do the things below, you can still sell your Portland house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean, and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty. If you’re not a total clean freak, hire someone who is to help you out until you sell. Keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable in your space.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces. For example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while a deep blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep (be careful, dark colors can also make rooms feel small). Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professional help. Subconsciously, people will pay more money for a property with just the right colors and neat lines. This makes the home feel better built, even though it’s just paint. Don’t forget to paint the exterior!
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. It might feel like a waste of money to spend a couple extra hundred bucks on a dishwasher that someone else might just pull out and replace again. But really, quite a few buyers will get a home inspection and use the opportunity to negotiate with you. As the seller, you’ll often end up paying more if you try to hide neglected maintenance from the purchaser and of course you don’t want to be guilty of fraud.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a small rate to come back after you’ve done minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house. This makes them feel more comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Paint is about the only safe investment. It’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors. It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re going to market the property on your own, don’t make enemies by lying about your intentions. Great brokers are rare and they make more money for their clients than they earn.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s expensive and time consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack. If you’re not, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Portland to educate yourself on the options.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Portland area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself But Still Want To Sell Your Portland OR House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale, not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer. Doing repairs, cleaning the property, upgrading the property, and marketing the property all take money and oftentimes lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things AND you can wait the 3-9 months it takes to sell houses in this market, then you’ll be better off financially listing it on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you don’t have the funds to do these things AND can’t wait months to sell your house, then you may be a perfect fit for our local Portland house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST, often times within 7 days. Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense, and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
If you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Portland“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up using the steps to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time and money.
If you need to sell a property near Portland, we can help you. We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.