Are you looking for a place to rent in Portland? As you’ve probably already seen, there are a lot of options in the Portland area for housing.
If you’re struggling to decide if you want to rent an apartment or a house, check out our tips below on the “pros and cons” of renting a local apartment vs. the pros and cons of renting a local house. You can also see our blog post on pros and cons of Rent to Own Programs for more detailed info >.
Renting A Portland Apartment
There are lots of great apartments in Portland. You’ve probably found new apartment complexes with all kinds of amenities like a swimming pool, gym, or rec area. You’ve also probably seen some minimalist apartments that just give you 4 walls and not much else.
Here are some Pros for renting local apartments:
- Often rent is cheaper with an apartment vs. renting a house.
- Some services, such as trash and water, are included in your rent.
- Maintenance is 100% taken care of by the management. If you’re in a bigger complex, usually the maintenance person is on-site and can repair things quickly.
- Sometimes there are more apartment units available than houses you want.
- Amenities are often included like rec rooms, gyms, pools, and more.
Here are some Cons of renting local apartments:
– You share walls with your neighbors.
– Some apartments don’t have elevators, which could be an issue if you have a unit on a higher floor.
– Parking lot dings: If you’ve lived in a large apartment complex where you’re parking in a shared parking lot, you’ve likely experienced a ding or two from your neighbors on your car.
– Usually you don’t get a yard that is just for you. If you do, it’s usually very small.
So what about renting a house in Portland Houses Should You Start to Look At
It really comes down to personal preference. If you want more space and room to roam without having to share walls with neighbors, then renting a house will be the route you want to go. If you’re looking for lots of options, a lower price, and extra amenities, take a look at the local apartments.
Or, a 3rd option for you is a local Portland rent to own home program.
Not sure what a “rent to own” home is?
Check out this page on our website that walks you through what a rent to own home (lease option) home is. If you’re interested in seeing the local Portland rent to own homes that are available click the link below to get on the list and see available homes. Or call us at (503) 334-4150 anytime to ask us questions and see if our Portland Rent To Own Program is right for you!